Fives’ thermal optimization solution to maximize performance at Masteel
Ma’anshan Iron & Steel Co., Ltd (Masteel) in China is investing in automation of furnace control to maximize process efficiency of advanced high-strength steels production.
Fives has been selected by Masteel to design, install and tune its proprietary thermal optimization solution - Virtuo® - for a hot dip continuous galvanizing line (CGL №3) and a continuous annealing line (CAL) at the Ma'anshan-II site in the Anhui province of China.
Complete automatic control
Virtuo®, a new generation of the thermal solution developed by Fives in France, is based on 3D thermal modeling and uses sophisticated model predictive control (MPC). The interface is also being upgraded to be more intuitive and user-friendly.
Virtuo® solution will be able to:
- Perform enhanced thermal calculations for higher temperature accuracy
- Provide greater flexibility and reactivity to process changes
- Help maximizing production output
- Reduce fuel consumption through optimized thermal control
- Determine real average tube temperature to model furnace behavior and prevent overheating
- Forecast forthcoming furnace changes and transitions
- Avoid strip 'out of tolerance', heat buckles and misguiding
- Reduce transition duration
The project will be implemented in 2019 for the CGL №3 and in 2020 for the CAL. To ensure quick and efficient service support, Fives’ team from both France and China will provide Masteel with theoretical and practical training, as well as local assistance for both lines during the project implementation.